9 things you need to know about acting Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN) Justice Tanko Muhammed
- Justice Muhammed was born on 31 December, 1953 at Doguwa – Giade, a local government area in Bauchi State.
- He attended Government Secondary School, Azare, where he obtained the West Africa School Certificate in 1973.
- He later proceeded to Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria where he received a bachelor’s degree in Law in 1980.
- He obtained a Masters Degree and Doctorate (PhD) degrees from the same university in 1984 and 1998.
- He began his career in 1982, after his Call to Bar in 1981, the same year he graduated from the Nigerian Law School.
- In 1989, he was appointed as Chief Magistrate of the High Court of Federal Capital Territory, a position he held till 1991 when he became a Judge at the Bauchi State Sharia Court of Appeal.
- He served in that capacity for two years before he was appointed to the Bench of the Nigerian courts of appeal as Justice in 1993.
- He was appointed a Justice of the Supreme Court of Nigeria in 2006 but sworn in January 7, 2007.
- He was appointed as Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria on January 25, 2019 by President Muhammadu Buhari.