... Always Staying on Top of The News

Fire razes widow’s house in Awka 4 months after husband died

The burnt house
By Sunny A. David, Awka
A widow, Mrs. Blessing Onwudinjo, who lost her husband few months ago, has also lost her three bedroom apartment to fire disaster that occurred in Awka.
The inferno which began around 8 o’clock in the night, completely razed down the building with all her belongings.
When our correspondent visited the scene of the fire incident, the widow still under shock, lamented that the clothes she and her children were wearing were the only things saved from the fire disaster.
She said the incident started when some of her children had slept, while she and some others were outside.
She said she was suspecting that it started from a fridge in one of the rooms and spread, until the entire building was completely razed.
A neighbour to the family, Engineer Michael Mmoufunaya, explained that he and others around, struggled to put out the fire after calling the fire service who did not show up and only called for the location of the building when the fire has almost been put out.
He said that neighbours have been trying to assist the widow with food and clothing, calling on government and well-meaning members of the public to help build a structure for her and her family.
A sympathizer, Mr. Paschal Okeke, urged people to be cautious during this dry season, especially switching off electrical appliances when going out.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.