Kebbi Governor Atiku Bagudu
By Anthony Maliki
The silent resentment of civil servants in Kebbi State against the government will, all things being equal, snowball into a full scale strike action starting from Wednesday, January 6, 2021.
The only possible way out is for the Atiku Bagudu government to meet some six demands which the labour movement has outlined for fulfilment.
In a press statement titled NLC ISSUES ULTIMATUM and signed by the Chairman of NLC’s Publicity Committee Chairman Yunusa Musa Ismail, the workers demands were given as follows:
- Payment of leave grant to levels 07 to 16 in 2019 and payment of leave grant for the year 2020.
- Remittance of Teachers Pension Contribution to Pension Fund Administration (PFA).
- Payment of gratuity to pensioners from 2017 to October 2018 and also to commence payment of new retirees from November 2018 to 2019.
- Yearly promotions and increment and resumption of consequential committee of new national minimum wage.
- The union also observes that for about 7 months now, residents of Birnin Kebbi Metropolis are facing acute scarcity of water supply and called on the state government to solve the problem or stop the remittance of water bills on civil servants.
- Pay allowances to all health workers on Covid 19, not only the front liners as everybody bears risk.