... Always Staying on Top of The News

Naira rain as Bauchi governor inaugurates committee to pay gratuities

Governor Abubakar of Bauchi State
By Baba Shehu Oscu, Bauchi 
In his efforts to improve the standard of living of senior citizens who served the state, Governor Mohammed Abdullahi Abubakar has inaugurated two committees for the immediate commencement of payment of gratuity to Bauchi State and local government retirees with a clear directive to prioritize those who retired on lower salary grades.
The Governor lamented the absence of private employers of labour in the state which necessitates 98 per cent of the state’s resources to go to civil servants who constitute a negligible percentage of the nearly 7.8 million people, leaving only 2 per cent of the remaining resources to provide essential service.
This was contained in a press statement issued to Apex News in Bauchi by the Press Secretary to the Governor, Comrade Abubakar Al-Sadique.
According to him,   Governor Abubakar’s administration which came into office in 2015 while workers were on strike over  their four months’ unpaid salaries, which he paid two months on assumption of office and ensured regular payment of   monthly pension, like workers’ salary, as at when due.
Governor Abubakar lamented that payment of gratuities was delayed because it has been politicized in the state, saying “N5.5billion unpaid bill was received by our transition committee in 2015, and when we decided to start making payment a whopping sum of N26.3billion was presented to me. This happened in just over a year and I find it unacceptable.”
The Governor who observed that the fate of civil servants elsewhere is still worrisome, owing to irregular payment of salary, said he made it clear that only an acceptable figure would be paid, pointing out that civil servants kept accusing him by frustrating his efforts to pay the accumulated gratuities.
Governor Abubakar revealed that the state lacked internally generated revenue as Pay as You Earn which is the major source in the state, with less than the state’s monthly wage bill of N5.4billion sometimes coming as allocation from the federation account, the statement further revealed.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.