REMARKS BY THE H.E. RT. HON. (DR) SIMON BAKO LALONG, KSGG, EXECUTIVE GOVERNOR OF PLATEAU STATE AT THE PRESENTATION OF MID-TERM REPORT BY RT. HON. YUSUF ADAMU GAGDI, MEMBER REPRESENTING PANKSHIN, KANKE, KANAM FEDERAL CONSTITUENCY TO MARK TWO YEARS IN OFFICE HELD AT THE PANKSHIN MINI STADIUM ON 10TH JUNE 2021.
- I am delighted to be invited here to Pankshin for the presentation of Mid-term Report to mark two years in office by Rt. Hon. Yusuf Adamu Gagdi, Member Representing Pankshin, Kanke, Kanam Federal Constituency and Chairman, House Committee on Navy, National Assembly Abuja.
- I have been informed that this event is not only about stock-taking, but also an opportunity to connect with the constituents and rub minds on the journey so far and how to proceed in the coming months and years. I want to commend the Member for organising this event which is an important aspect of the representative democracy we practice.
- This event I am also told will feature the commissioning of some projects and distribution of empowerment items to some beneficiaries within the Constituency. These include the Constituency Office of the Federal Legislator; Borehole drilling equipment; distribution of 20 cars to his aides and some constituents; and 3 joint security patrol vehicles for the three LGAs of Pankshin, Kanke and Kanam.
- Others are the presentation of 400 wheel Chairs to the physically challenged; inauguration of the PKK JAMB Refund Committee and Gagdi PKK Football Tournament Committee among others. These are laudable projects and programmes that will definitely have a huge impact on the people.
- The Honourable Member who is a first timer at the National Assembly has carried his experience gathered from the State House of Assembly to Abuja where he is doing his best to serve the people of his constituency by pursuing the passage of legislations that affect their lives and those of other Nigerians.
- From the compendium of achievements made available, the Honourable Member has sponsored about 20 bills and moved several Motions on critical national issues and in particular, those affecting the people of Pankshin, Kanke, Kanam constituency and Plateau State. This is a commendable development that buttresses the primary duty of law makers.
- We can also see from the compendium of the Mid-Term Report presented that the legislator has equally facilitated and supported various projects within his constituency that border on provision of basic social amenities such as water, roads, schools, health centres, rural electrification and human capital development.
- Added to this is the aspect of lobby and networking for which the legislator has been able to build across the country in his two years at the Green Chambers which have opened opportunities for employment and appointment of the sons and daughters of Plateau State and in particular the members of his constituency to various Federal establishments.
- I am also happy to note that the Honourable Member has not left out the traditional institutions in his intervention programmes as he has supported the improvement of their palaces and assisted them whenever the need arises. The records also show that he has carried along his constituents irrespective of religious, ethnic or tribal differences. This is the way to go.
- As we mark this occasion therefore, I want to call on the people of Pankshin, Kanke, Kanam Federal Constituency to continue to support the legislator in ensuring that he delivers on his campaign promises. The task of building a greater PKK can only be possible when all hands are on deck to assist those you have elected to perform.
- Constant engagement and dialogue that is driven by adequate feedback mechanism is therefore necessary to make the people benefit from democracy. I urge the people of PKK to take advantage of this Constituency Office to engage their representative on matters that border on their well-being.
- As a Member of the ruling APC, the greatest party in Africa, the legislator is making us proud and showing that the trust of the people is not misplaced. Some of the evidences are before us today to see and touch. We should support and encourage him to do more and make our party, the APC the envy of all.
- Let me use this opportunity to remind the political class in Plateau State and Nigeria at large that we have a huge responsibility to make democracy worthwhile for the common people by being selfless and focusing on making their lives better. If we do not put them first, then we run the risk of alienating them and making politics uninteresting.
- As a Government, the Rescue Administration has continued to deliver on its mandate in the last six years by implementing the vision of the APC in Plateau State. We have done a lot in terms of completing inherited and abandoned projects as well as executing new ones in various sectors. Many of them will be commissioned today and in the coming days while others remain on-going.
- Like I have always emphasized, all I require is peace to be able to carry out developmental projects for the people. Without peace, we cannot make any progress which explains why we have focused on building and sustaining peace in Plateau State. The outcome is an increase in investment and attraction of Federal programmes and projects.
- While I congratulate the Rt. Hon. Yusuf Gagdi for his giant strides and quality representation, I will like to encourage all members of the Plateau caucus at the National Assembly to continue to work together irrespective of their political affiliations to put the interest of Plateau State above any other consideration.
- When you work to attract development to your constituencies and Plateau State, our people will all benefit irrespective of their party, religion or ethnic backgrounds. The task of building a greater Plateau State rests on all of us.
- Finally, I appeal to our citizens particularly the youths to take a cue from Rt. Hon. Gagdi who is giving a good account of himself since he was elected to the Federal House of Representatives. Do not allow anyone use you as thugs or deceive you to destroy your future. With the not too young to run law, you too can contest for elections and serve your people just as Gagdi is doing.
- May God bless PKK Constituency, Plateau State and the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Rt. Hon. (Dr.) Simon Bako Lalong, KSGG,
10th June, 2021