Two dead in separate incidents as nri title holder is shot, trucks collide on Awka-Enugu expressway

0

By Sunny A. David, Awka

Tension has gripped Nri community in Anaocha Local Government Area of Anambra State following the killing of a prominent traditional title holder, Oba Maduka Arubaluezeama, popularly known as Oba Muozuluaru.

Arubaluezeama was reportedly shot dead at about 7 p.m. on Tuesday while supervising workers at a building site in an estate near the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) office in neighbouring Nise.

A community source said the deceased was approached by some men at the site and allegedly warned to leave the area. As he attempted to enter his vehicle, one of the men reportedly pulled out a firearm and shot him several times, including in the waist and head.

The motive for the killing remains unknown, although the incident has heightened concerns among residents amid a long-running controversy over the vacant traditional stool of Nri.

The traditional stool has reportedly remained vacant for more than eight years following the death of the former traditional ruler, Eze Obidiegwu Onyeso.

The source also alleged that the estate where the deceased was constructing his house had been involved in a land dispute with other property owners. However, no official investigation has established a connection between the land dispute, the traditional stool controversy and the killing.

The incident has further revived concerns over previous violent incidents in the community, including the reported attack on Chief Sunday Alike about three years ago, the assassination of the Nri Central Vigilante commander, identified as Ogazi, last year, and an earlier attack on members of the Nri Nze-na-Ozo traditional society during a meeting at Agbadani Village Hall.

Community members have called on security agencies to conduct a thorough investigation and bring those responsible for the killing to justice.

When contacted, the Anambra State Police Command spokesperson, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, said he was not aware of the incident but promised to make inquiries. No further statement had been issued by the police as of the time of filing this report.

Meanwhile, two people have died in a separate road crash involving two commercial trucks along the Awka-Enugu Expressway in Anambra State.

The accident occurred late Thursday near Jezco Filling Station at Agu-Awka, according to the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Anambra Sector Command.

The crash involved a Mercedes 911 truck and a tanker. The FRSC said the Mercedes truck was travelling at high speed when its driver suddenly applied the brakes because of ongoing road construction.

The tanker reportedly rammed into the rear of the Mercedes truck, producing a spark that triggered an explosion and fire.

Two occupants of the vehicles were burnt to death in the crash, while two others sustained varying degrees of injuries.

Passers-by reportedly rescued the injured victims and took them to the Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu Teaching Hospital, Amaku, Awka, where they were admitted for treatment.

The Sector Public Education Officer of the FRSC, Margaret Onabe, confirmed the incident and urged motorists to exercise caution, particularly around construction zones, to reduce the risk of crashes.

The two separate incidents have renewed calls for heightened security in communities and greater caution by motorists along construction-affected sections of major roads in Anambra State.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.