87-year-old building set to boost Igbo-Ukwu’s cultural tourism potential

0

By Sunny A. David, Awka

The renovation of an 87-year-old storey building in Igbo-Ukwu, Aguata Local Government Area of Anambra State, is expected to enhance the community’s status as a major cultural and heritage tourism destination, according to Mr. Ozioma Ubabukoh, grandson of the late Chief John Ubabukoh.

Speaking with journalists on Saturday, Ozioma said the historic structure, completed in 1939, is one of the oldest storey buildings in the South-East and the first of its kind in Igbo-Ukwu. He explained that plans are underway to restore the building while preserving its original character and historical significance.

According to him, the renovation project will give the structure a vintage and ancestral outlook and strengthen its connection with the nearby Igbo-Ukwu National Museum, creating a heritage hub capable of attracting tourists and boosting the local economy.

He noted that the project would help preserve the history and cultural identity of the community while creating opportunities for cultural exhibitions and film production. Ozioma revealed that some movie producers had already shown interest in using the building as a location for epic films.

He said the initiative could help establish Igbo-Ukwu as Anambra State’s cultural city, complementing the roles already played by Onitsha as a commercial centre, Nnewi as an industrial hub, Awka as the state capital, and Ekwulobia as an emerging urban centre.

Drawing comparisons with renowned tourism destinations around the world, Ozioma said Igbo-Ukwu possesses a rich cultural heritage that can attract visitors from across Nigeria and beyond if properly developed.

He called on the Anambra State Government, corporate organisations and public-spirited individuals to support the project, describing it as an opportunity to preserve and promote the history and culture of the Igbo people.

Chief John Ubabukoh, who passed away in February 1996 at the age of 92, left the building to his first son, Ifeanyichukwu Ubabukoh. Ozioma said his late father, before his death in February 2024, instructed him not to demolish the structure but to preserve it as a legacy for future generations.

Also speaking, the oldest surviving child of Chief John Ubabukoh, 73-year-old Okey Ubabukoh, recalled the challenges involved in constructing the building during the colonial era. He said timber was scarce at the time because much of it was being exported to support wartime efforts, forcing his father to source materials from deep forests.

Okey described his father as a respected businessman who operated extensively in Northern Nigeria, spoke Hausa fluently, and worked as a contractor, customary court judge and community leader. He also revealed that Chief John collaborated with renowned British archaeologist Prof. Thurstan Shaw during the excavation of bronze artefacts that eventually led to the establishment of the Igbo-Ukwu National Museum.

He pledged the family’s support for Ozioma’s efforts to preserve the historic structure.

Similarly, Pa Emeka Ubabukoh, an 86-year-old nephew of the late chief, said the building played a significant role in the development of Igbo-Ukwu and Aguata, describing it as a landmark that stood out in the community during his youth.

A family friend, Pa Timothy Anigbogu, described Igbo-Ukwu as an ancient town renowned for its archaeological discoveries, which have brought national and international recognition to the community. He noted that the Federal Government established the Igbo-Ukwu National Museum to showcase these findings.

Anigbogu expressed optimism that the renovation of the historic building would further elevate Igbo-Ukwu’s profile and strengthen its position as one of Nigeria’s leading cultural and tourism destinations.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.