With his appointment in August 2016, the Executive Secretary/Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of NHIS has faced challenges with suspension and recall alleging mismanagement. He was again recently suspended by the board of the agency led by Dr Enyantu Ifenne
- He graduated from the Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) Zaria with MBBS in 1982.
- In 1988, he got a postgraduate diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene at the University of Liverpool, UK.
- He became a Consultant Paediatrician and Fellow of the West African College of Physicians in 1989.
- He is a Professor of Haematology-Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplantation.
- Professor Yusuf has various extensive experiences practicing medicine across Africa, Europe and North America.
- He worked at Christies Hospital and Holt Radium Institute in Manchester as an Oncologist from 1990 to 1994.
- He moved to the United States of America in 1995 where he was a Fellow of Haematology and Oncology at the Medical University of South Carolina.
- In 2000, he moved to the world renowned bone marrow transplant centre of Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Hospital Seattle, Washington, USA as Transplant Fellow and Assistant Professor.
- By 2003, he went to Saint Jude Children Research Hospital in Memphis Tennessee as Assistant Professor in the Division of Stem Cell Transplantation and rose to the rank of full Professor in 2008.
- His research interest is in new therapies for Graft versus Host Disease and immuno modulation after bone marrow transplantation.
- He has published many peer-reviewed articles and manuscripts in scientific journals and presented papers and abstracts in many international scientific conferences. (Internet)