Protest erupts in Onitsha as police shooting sparks tension, commissioner orders investigation

0

By Sunny A. David, Awka

Tension reportedly broke out around the Onitsha Head Bridge area of Anambra State on Wednesday following a confrontation between police officers and members of the public that allegedly resulted in gunshot injuries.

The incident, which occurred around Ogbọ Ọgwụ Market, reportedly triggered a protest as residents and road users took to the expressway, disrupting traffic and movement in the busy Onitsha area.

According to eyewitness accounts and videos circulating online, the incident began when police operatives allegedly stopped and searched one of the affected persons. The eyewitnesses claimed that no incriminating item was found during the search, after which the officers reportedly attempted to arrest and take the man into their vehicle.

The situation allegedly escalated when the man resisted the arrest, leading to a confrontation during which one of the officers was accused of firing shots that injured some people.

The reported shooting angered members of the public, who subsequently blocked parts of the expressway in protest, causing significant disruption to vehicular movement around Head Bridge.

However, the Anambra State Police Command gave a preliminary account of the incident, describing it as a confrontation that occurred during an attempted arrest.

In a statement issued by the Command’s Police Public Relations Officer, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, the Commissioner of Police, CP Nnanna Oji Ama, was said to have personally intervened after the incident.

The Commissioner reportedly addressed the crowd and said the immediate priority of the Command was to ensure the recovery and welfare of those who sustained injuries.

CP Oji Ama later visited the injured persons at the hospital, where he assured them of the Police Command’s support and reportedly pledged that their medical expenses would be covered.

The Commissioner also ordered a thorough and impartial investigation into the incident, particularly the circumstances surrounding the discharge of the firearm.

According to the police spokesman, the investigation would determine what actually happened and guide any further action that may be taken based on the findings.

The Command’s account contrasts with claims by some eyewitnesses, who alleged that the confrontation followed a search during which no incriminating item was reportedly found.

The conflicting accounts have raised concerns over the events leading to the shooting and the circumstances surrounding the attempted arrest.

Meanwhile, CP Oji Ama appealed to residents and other members of the public to remain calm and peaceful while the investigation continues.

He reaffirmed the Command’s commitment to professionalism, accountability, respect for human life and strict adherence to the rule of law.

The Police Command said the situation around Head Bridge had been brought under control by Wednesday evening, with normal traffic and human movement restored.

The outcome of the investigation is expected to shed more light on the circumstances surrounding the confrontation, the reported injuries and the use of the firearm.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.